MY MISSION: To help photographers develop a solid understanding of the “Hows and Whys” behind making consistently great photographs. – – Joe Edelman
I am an Olympus Visionary photographer, author, photo educator and YES – that crazy PHOTO Joe Edelman on YouTube!
I take great pride in sharing my experience via my popular YouTube Channel: Photo Joe Edelman – recognized by YouTube as one of the fastest rising channels of 2016.
My career has spanned four decades, from my start as an award winning newspaper photojournalist to my work today photographing all types of people and serving as a photo educator who motivates and educates new and experienced photographers all over the world.
In 2018, I was designated an Olympus Visionary by Olympus America, Inc., one of a small group of established, award-winning professional photographers who travel the world with Olympus products to capture life’s beauty and splendor and provide feedback on new product lines. This elite group includes several Pulitzer Prize–winning photographers, as well as artists whose careers have included assignments around the globe. I shoot exclusively with Olympus cameras, and M.Zuiko lenses.
You can view my gear list here.
I have earned a reputation as a lively and popular instructor and lecturer at camera clubs, photography conferences and photography workshops across the United States. I have been a speaker at events like ImagingUSA, WPPI, PhotoPlus, Out of Chicago, NECCC, Carolina Photo Expo and numerous others presenting on topics like Fashion Portraiture, Studio Lighting, Glamour Photography, Creativity, Social Media and Marketing for Photographers and Fine Art imagery to name just a few.
I have also served as an adjunct professor teaching Creativity and Photography at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and Northampton County Community College in Monroe, PA.
My work is featured frequently on well-known photography blogs including Fstoppers, DIYPhotography, PetaPixel, Lifehacker, ISO1200, Shutterbug and LensVid among others. Joe has also been named a Light Leader by Photoflex and is a featured photographer for Savage Universal.
My photography has been published internationally in magazines like Maxim, Cosmopolitan, Get Fit, Shape and Good Light Magazine to name but a few. I have been called upon to complete assignments for both the New York Times and The Los Angeles Times and I have serviced commercial advertising clients from all over the United States.
In addition to the Olympus Visionary team, I am honored to be a member of the Interfit Photographic Creative Pro’s, the Tether Tools Pro Team, a Photoflex Light Leader and a featured photographer by Savage Universal.
In addition to my role as photographer, I have been nationally recognized as an innovator in shaping models’ portfolios and careers. Simply put, I advise serious models (both new and experienced) about how to market themselves. I have written hundreds of articles with guidance and information for new and experienced models and I maintain the most comprehensive modeling agency directory online.
I am often used as a source for television stories as well as newspaper and magazine articles on the subject. The Author JE Bright references my writings in his book America’s Next Top Model: Fierce Guide to Life: The Ultimate Source of Beauty, Fashion, and Model Behavior. My work has also been referenced by author Rif K. Haffar in his book Roadmap to Stardom: How to Break into Acting in Hollywood.
Along with my incredible wife and two four legged kids, I am based in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
Just a few of the articles written about my videos and work on YouTube
- One Portrait Background to Rule Them All – FStoppers.com
- Why Gray is the Best Backdrop Color for Simple Portrait Studios – PetaPixel.com
- If You Can Only Get One Backdrop for Your Studio, Grey is What You Want and Here’s Why – DIYPhotography.net
- Fill the Frame With Your Subject For Better Portraits – LifeHacker.com
- Build Your Own Set of LED Studio Lights Using Off-The-Shelf Gear For Under $250 – DIYPhotography.net
- How to Build Your Own Set of LED Studio Lights for Just $250 – PetaPixel.com
- Build Your Own Set of LED Strip Lights for Less Than $300 – FStoppers.com
- Build Your Own Pro Photo Lighting Setup with LED Shop Lights – LifeHacker.com
- One Flash is All You Need to Make Amazing Portraits – DIYPhotography.net
- How to Shoot Awesome Portraits and Headshots with Just One Flash – PetaPixel.com
- Using an Egg to Understand Portrait Photography Lighting – PictureCorrect.com
- One Light Portrait Lighting for AWESOME Portraits & Headshots – ISO1200.com
- Affordable Studio Lighting: Create Your Own Set of Lightweight, Efficient LED Lights for Less Than $300 – Imaging-Resource.com
- Waarom Een Grijze Achtergrond de Beste Is – Cameracheck.be
- How to Shoot Great Portraits and Headshots With Just One Light – LifeHacker.com
- Quick Tip: How to Fix Shiny Skin in Photoshop and Lightroom – PetaPixel.com
- Quick and Easy Way to Fix Shiny Skin in Photoshop – FStoppers.com
- How to Fix Shiny Skin in Photoshop and Lightroom – RageFinderOnline.com
- Quickly Fix Shiny Skin in Your Photos Using Photoshop or Lightroom – LifeHacker.com
- Quickly and Easily Retouch Shiny Skin in Photoshop & Lightroom – DIYPhotography.net
- Say Goodbye to That Shine: How to Fix Oily and Overexposed Skin in Photoshop and Lightroom – Imaging-Resource.com
- How to Quickly Fix the Appearance of Oily Skin in Photoshop – Yahoo.com
- How to Quickly Fix the Appearance of Oily Skin in Photoshop – DigitalTrends.com
- Watch This Video Tutorial & Learn How to Easily Eliminate Shiny Skin Using Photoshop & Lightroom – Shutterbug.com
- Which Light Modifier Work Best? – LensVid.com
- How to Find the Good Side of a Persons Face for a Portrait? – ISO1200.com
- How to Find a Person’s “Good Side” and Why You Probably Got Yours Wrong – DIYPhotography.net
- This Portrait Retouching Tutorial Teaches You How To Get Rid Of Pesky Shiny Skin! – Planet5D.com
- Quick Tip: How to Find a Person’s ‘Good Side’ for Portraits – PetaPixel.com
YouTube NextUp 2016
- YouTube NextUp Class of 2016
- 34 Up-and-Coming YouTube Stars You Should be Watching Right Now – BusinessInsider.com
- YouTube NextUp Program Announces 2016 Winners – VideoInk.com
- YouTube’s NextUp Program Announces 2016 Winners – DailyDot.com
- Introducing the NextUp Summer Class of 2016 at YouTube Space NY and LA – YouTube-Creators.GoogleBlog.com